Bahamian Boa or Pygmy Boa… Does Anybody Know?


Doug Jeffries found this snake one morning on his recent bonefishing trip to Long Island in the Bahamas with Angling Destinations' host Bjorn Stromsness. If anyone can make a positive identification of this little boa, please let us know.


Doug said, "It was a cool little snake, all curled up next to one of the coolers. Samantha [the manager of the lodge] squealed when she saw it. I hadn't heard of the Bahamian pygmy python (I had mentioned this as a possible identification option). Now I have to research that. I thought the Bahamas didn't have any endemic snakes and they were all immigrants that came on boats and stuff."
[I think there are two endemic boas in the Bahamas: the pygmy boa and the Bahamian Boa]. Can anybody help us identify this snake?