A Day on the North Platte with Jim Dean


As many of you know, I am headed to Colorado to fish in the Rawah Range. Unfortunately, Colorado (from Colorado Springs to Ft. Collins) is experiencing a once in century "weather event". Boulder had 6 inches of rain in less than 12 hours and "walls of water" are screaming down the canyons washing out roads, inundating homes and wreaking havoc! BUT, our area near Woods Landing on the Laramie River is high, but stable, so we're going for it! I love the FISH group! They are going to make it come hell or literally, high water.
I-25 is closed from Denver to Cheyenne and Poudre Canyon above Ft. Collins is closed. We may have to drive 4 hours routing through Greeley to make it in what should have been 1.5 hours, but these FISHohiles are real troopers!!

Jim behind the wheel of his "toy"!
In the meantime, I met my long time friend Jim Dean in Casper to fish the North Platte today. Jim has been to Alaska, Mongolia, the Bahamas, the Amazon, the Yucatan and Kamchatka with me. He is an old and good friend. He has had some serious health challenges in the last few years so it was GREAT seeing him looking so good. I met Jim in Casper and followed him in his white Porsche Cayenne S to the river west of town. Jim took me to a private ranch that gave us access to an incredible slough and riffle where we could wade to our heart's content. We, of course, fished in the rain!


Sweet ride!
The fishing was spectacular with 25-30 fish landed between 15 and 22 inches. Man, those North Platte 'bows are strong. Like Alaska 'bows! They rip you up, even the small ones! Thanks Jim, for a wonderful, yet too few, hours of fishing!!





Now I'm off to Laramie to see if we can find a road to our river in Colorado that isn't under water.
More on this soon!